Monday, September 03, 2012

Meet and Greet - GUTGAA :)



Hi! I'm Johana from Paraguay. Yeah, I know. If I didn't live in it, I probably wouldn't know where on the map is either. Here it is:  


Really hot place, but we have beatiful landscapes. Take a look. My country and my background are important to me and my story, The Curse of the Seven, so its relevant to mention them here. I only finished writing my book, and I'm still working hard to get it to the place I want it to be so I haven't really started querying it yet. Hopefully I'll get lucky at GUTGAA. 
I'm 22 years old. Used to be architecture major, but changed last year when I realized my heart wasn't really into it. So now, I'm dividing my time between work, writing and theather. Yes, I'm an actress. 
What else? Nobody in my family speaks english, so I'm kind of a freak in that regard. People have asked me why on earth I don't write in spanish, but for some unfathomable reason, it's easier for me in english. No idea why.
I'll love to connect with writers and really, everyone who wouldn't mind talking books for hours without getting tired of it. Unfortunately, I don't know that many people who are like that in my every day life, so if you're like that, please, PLEASE, leave a message here :)

And my answers to Deanna's questionnaire are here:


-Where do you write?

Lately, at my grandfather’s house. Unlike my own house, it’s so quiet there and I focus more easily when there’s no noise around me. I have a VERY EASILY distracted mind, but when I find my pace at something, not even a tornado could sway my attention. And my younger siblings are like a tornado when they’re all together so I think I can speak with a certain authority in the matter.

  
-Quick. Go to your writing space, sit down and look to your left. What is the first thing you see?

A mirror. I think my aunt went through a fen shui face a while ago. Their house is full of stuff like that.


-Favorite time to write?

My writing hours are not dictated by the movements of the earth. I hear it’s quite common amongst the writing folks to develop nocturnal schedules, and I do, believe me. But if I find a moment of complete solitude and quiet, I can come up with a few usable words, even if the sun is still shining.


-Drink of choice while writing?

Well, it’s my understanding that the first step to become a writer is develop a crave for coffee. Another proof that I was born to be one. I cannot survive without coffee, in its various forms and flavors.
  

-When writing , do you listen to music or do you need complete silence?

Like I said, complete silence. Music is a passion for me, and singing is something I love very much, much to my family’s chagrin. If I hear I music I like, I can’t help but to sign along. The few times I tried to write while listening to it, the dialogue between my characters turned out odd. I swear to God, in my head they were doing a musical. People laugh at that, but it’s my ultimate truth. So, no music while writing. Maybe if someday I get hired by Andrew Lloyd Webber it could work for me.
When I reach a point in which I can’t come up with new ideas, I do listen to music to steal a bit of inspiration, though.

  
-What was your inspiration for your latest manuscript and where did you find it? (Plus a few errant thoughts on the matter)

Oh, dear. This will be a long one.
I have worked in a few different proyects, and while the words made sense most of the time, they didn’t feel mine enough. It’s difficult to explain, but I’ll give it a shot.
There’s this feeling I get on my skin, when something feels right. When I’m on the stage, it’s like an electric current that keeps me wired enough to give a credible perfomance. According to my instructors, it’s a very unusual thing to experience as a novice actor. But that’s the thing, I didn’t start to get those chills, to call them something, after I started acting; I got them a long time before that. I got them when I picked up my first Harry Potter book when I was ten years old, and when I saw Gone with the Wind for the first time, and when I discovered The Rolling Stones... one of my many theories about it is that I get them when I feel the magic. You know, the magic that’s part of the real world. Or maybe I’m just crazy, which is an entirely posible thing.
None of my other proyects gave me that until this one. It’s inspired in the mythological figures that are part of my country’s folklore, so I think that’s why I feel more connected to it than my first stories. In my country, they are big about traditions. I don’t know if it’s like that in every country, but in Paraguay they teach you about these legends literally before you learn to write your name.
When I was younger, I was just like every other child at hearing these stories: I was bored, I didn’t want to listen to them EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR.
But as I got older, I landed in a few places in which I was encouraged to think about the “why” of everything. A while ago, while helping my brother with his homework, I stumbled across the Seven Myths Legend once again, and the wheels in my head started to turn. Why do these kids had to suffer such a horrible curse because of their parents' mistakes? And ta-da! The idea for this project was conceived.

-What's your most valuable writing tip?

Keep writing. There’s nothing more to this than that. And while you do that, find time to watch as lot of TV and movies, read a lot of books and see the world around you. I learned a lot about world building and character development by doing that with a critical eye. 


Well, that's it for now. Here, my bunny Ozera (named after Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy character Christian.. Nobody gets the reference where I live, but they do share a lot of personality traits) and I wish you the best of luck at GUTGAA! 



41 comments:

  1. Love this! Nice to meet you! I am also very distracted, and I have three kids, so I don't get much writing done until they're in bed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not really my kids, but they're close enough (there's a huge age diference between us) that I totally get your point.
      Lovely to meet you! Read you around!

      Delete
  2. GUTGAA goes international! I wish I could write to music, but I'm SO easily over-stimulated. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Same here! But when I get there, I usually don't stop until my eyelids are closing on their own.
      Read you around :)

      Delete
  3. This GUTGAA is like a trip around the world. So many countries represented.

    I get chills from Gone with the Wind, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... I'm pretty sure I'm the only paraguayan participating, so it's a lot of responsability on my shoulders. That's why I posted some info on my country, so you guys could get to know it a little, too.
      And I swear, I'm convinced I was a southern belle in a past life. They are all so awesome! But Scarlett is in another level. I love her so much, even when there were parts that I sort of wanted to strangle her. She's an awesome character :)

      Delete
  4. Nice to meet you! :)

    I loved readng your comment about your siblings being like a tornado in the house. How many younger siblings do you have? My children are like that tornado too!

    When you spoke about the legends from your country, it made me remember a legend my friend told me from her home country (Vietnam). I had five daughters at the time (it was before my two boys were born), and she told me about the 5 Dragon Princesses. I have never been able to find any reference to the legend on-line though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have three kids living at home with me at the time, my brother (14), my little sister, also known as my princess (7) and my cousin (11). I have another sister, but she's a grown up now, too. When they are all together, they are so loud.. I swear, my sister and I were the quietest children in the world in comparison. It makes you wonder about the kids these days..

      The legend that inspired my story, you'll find it on the internet. The whole guarani folklore it's so rich, you'll get a million ideas if you ever read about it. The one that inspired me the most tells the story of the spirit of evil (Tau) and the spirit of good (Angatupyry) and Kerana, a beautiful maiden (because, really, which legend doesn't have one of those) and how Tau won the battle for her hand and as a result, they were both cursed by a goddess to have seven children who'd become monsters. That's the original version. Mine it's a bit more complicated.
      Lovely to meet you, and thanks for stoping by!

      Delete
  5. Wow- that really does look like a beautiful place to live. I completely agree with you on the music thing. It's great, but distracting. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Nice to meet you, too! It is.. Although I wouldn't recommend it if you like... um, seasons and stuff. It's one perpetual summer here. We are still in winter now, and today, the temperature reached 35º C, that'll make about 95º F.. Yeah, that's right. I won't even tell you about the actual summer temperatures.
      Read you around! And if I haven't stopped by your blog yet, I'll get right on that :)

      Delete
  6. I definitely do love writing more at night, but will write whenever I get a chance. I'm your newest follower. Very nice to meet you!

    AA
    http://anallegedauthor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Nice to meet you! Yeah, I noticed the follow.. Right back at you.
      Wait, you are not @moonduster... Oh, well.. I haven't recieved the notification yet but I'll follow you too when I get it :)
      Sorry... Technology is not muy best friend. But I try, and that's what matters..
      Read you around :)

      Delete
  7. Hello Johana!

    It is so nice to meet you. You have such a cute bunny and what great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And it's nice to meet you, too. I've already hopped onto your blog to read about you, so.. go read it :D
      Read you around!

      Delete
  8. Ha! I love that you named your bunny after Christian Ozera!

    I've worked with many non-native English speakers, and I have to say, your English is fabulous. I'm impressed! Best of luck with the contest & with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Although I have noticed a couple of typos in the post. I was just revising it to fix them but now I can't find them anymore..
      Yeah, my bunny is the cutest, bestest (and yes, I know.. not really a word, but I'm a Sponge-Bob fan so blame him and Patrick) bunny in the world. And yay! that I found someone that could understand the reference..
      Well, thanks for stopping by and read you around :)

      Delete
  9. I had a general idea where Paraguay is! I've spent some time in South America and love the culture. I've never been to Paraguay, though - only Ecuador and Peru. I love the feel of everyday magic, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Most people don't though, so I saved them the trouble of asking :)
      Well, read you around, and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. I believe the chills are a magical in origin, too. It's neat to know other people get the same charge out of writing that I do. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Sorry for the delay, but again, nice to meet you :)
      Read you around at GUTGAA!

      Delete
  11. And living in beautiful South America, you should like coffee. :)
    I get chills when something is beautiful too. Or if I know what's gonna happen before it does.
    Writing truly is magical. Making myself have chills with my own story is a beautiful thing.
    Great to meet you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok, I'm totally hooked on the concept for your story because I LOVE folktales and folktale-inspired-stories from places I'm unfamiliar with. You have a beautiful way with words in this post, and I think big things are happening for you. :) Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea what your words mean to me. I really appreciate them! You just gave me a much neede boost in the self-esteem department.
      I hope I don't disappoint your expectations. And good luck to you, too.
      Read you around!

      Delete
  13. Hi there! I absolutely agree with you about watching a lot of TV or movies and reading a lot of books. Sometimes there's nothing better than getting completely lost inside of a story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree. That's why we all do what we do, don't we?
      Nice to meet you, and read you around:)

      Delete
  14. joa please you know i don't have time to find all blogs you have so please don't feel so lonelly paragayan in here I'm here too (not entrely paraguayan but you know kind of) love you
    ps: and annita speaks english too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Que pelada, Jazmin. Ya se que Anita también habla pero proporcionalmente hablando, no hace número. Compara TODA mi familia vs. Anita, y la prójima sale perdiendo leeeejos. Pero gracias por el apoyo :)

      Delete
  15. Nice to *meet* you! Really interesting story behind finding the writing idea that stuck with you. Looking forward to more GUTGAA. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, there! Nice to meet you! I'm having so much fun with this already! Okay, now I'm off to check your Meet&Greet post. Read you around :)

      Delete
  16. Great post! Your story inspiration is very interesting. Looking forward to seeing you around GUTGAA (and I agree... ink and caffeine course through every writer's veins).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah. Thank you. I hope my story and I live up to the expectations. Thanks for stopping by! Nice meeting you :)

      Delete
  17. Johana! (That is my mother's name--it's beautiful!)

    So nice to get to know you! I must say, your story sounds so unique. I would absolutely read something like that. I'm sure if it's rich with the culture and traditions of Paraguay and all the folklore woven in there too, an agent will snap it up in a heartbeat. Such a unique story seems hard to come by these days.

    Best of luck with GUTGAA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm getting all kinds of encouragement from everyone here. It really blows my mind. And yes, I get what you say. That's why I barely gave myself permission to answer a these comments and I'll get right back to my baby. I really want it to make it unique, but it's really hard when there are so many amazing stories out there. Hopefully the concept stands out.
      Good luck to you, too!
      Go #GUTGAA!
      :D

      Delete
  18. Hi! Great to meet you. I totally get what you mean about something feeling right, that's how I am too with my books. I have tons of ideas written down but until one really grabs me I can't write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you! And good luck at #GUTGAA!
      Read you around!

      Delete
  19. I am one writer who doesn't like coffee. Coke maybe, for the caffeine, but never coffee. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just joking around. Of course I know not everyone likes coffee. Lovely to meet you!
      Good luck at #GUTGAA!
      Read you around :)

      Delete
  20. Great tip! Very interesting inspiration for your project, sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Chagrin - one of my favorite words and definitely not used enough. Made me smile. Pleased to meet you, and good luck with GUTGAA.
    Kat
    http://beyondthehourglassbridge.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ah finally found your Meet and Greet! Don't mind me, I get lost in my tiny apartment very easily, so getting lose on the internet? Foregone conclusion :)

    I have to say, your love of Gone With the Wind instantly endeared me to you. Scarlett is my favorite heroine.

    I admit it, I had no clue where Paraguay was located. But then, I flunked Geography twice. Those little squiggly lines kept moving everytime I thought I knew the answer! :)

    I do love your premise, and I think you will do great things with your writing career! Don't doubt yourself.

    PS - Ozera is too cute. That is one heck of a writing partner :)

    ReplyDelete